Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Sabbath Commuter

I never imagine that only for the church, I have to get up very very early in the morning, across the sea and across the border. Why do we have to push ourselves to go there where there is a church nearby? Why is it so special?

The first time I visited Singapore, I went to an SDA Church not far from our hotel, we liked the casuality but for us there was nothing special about it. Then we passed by this church but only passed by. The next year, we moved to Batam. Batam is the island situated very close to Singapore. You can get Singapore by Ferry. Batam has three ports: Batam Centre, Harbour Bay in Batu Ampar and Sekupang. For us, Harbour Bay is the nearest port, only take 10 minutes from the house. Also among other ports, Harbour Bay takes the shortest time, only takes 40 minutes.

At the end of2006, Fritz tried to go to Singapore to keep the Sabbath, he tried Jurong East SDA Church. With my surprise, the next week he went again and again and again. At that time I was in Jakarta where I was on the training. I asked him why? Isn't there a church near our house? Why do you have to spend much money just to go to the church? Just to go to church? He said that I didn't know what he experienced there. There, he said the congregation were nice, even the potluck was nice. The way their worship strucked his heart, he enjoyed worship God there. Even, they asked him to join the worship team. What? You just a new comer, moreover you don't even live there. But, it doesn't matter. I was curious.

After I was back to Batam, I started to go with my husband especially after I transferred my passport to Batam. The first was there, really surprise me! At the beginning, everybody seemed busy with themselves, the typical city church. But after I joined the Sabbath School, my point of view was different. Then to my surprise when I joined the worship, gossssh...is SDA Church? Where am I? The songs....? They aren't the common songs, our songs are from the Church Hymnal? Joined the potluck, to my surprise also, several approached me and asked me questions, very nice people. I wasn't introduced as a guest in front of the congregation but they approached me. It is so rare, it's so hard to find in many churches.

The next Sabbath, I came again. Have a chance to talk with the Pastor. Pst. Johnny Kan. I asked him lots of questions especially the way they worship. He answered that comprehensively. He opened my eyes, especially for the statement that we have to educate ourselves to enrich the collections of the gospel. They style is not the matter, the point is the motive and heart why you come to the church. However, we still need the Truth and Holy Spirit to guide us. We have to open especially to keep the young people.

Then, the invitation began, I joined the worship team. Surprise! Among other activities in the church, I never joined the Music Department. I was so afraid, I felt that I was not good enough. But, thanks God, I really learn a lot! Thanks, guys! Also learn how they handle the small groups, really works, how they can reach many souls to Jesus.

I found many things in this church, incredible indeed! A man who searches the truth in the internet and finally decide to come to this church. A young man who likes to listen to 107 FM then come to worship in the church, guests around the world, the maids, etc. The way they handle the communion is also different. Unique but I can see that Jesus is welcome everyone no matter who you are.

I am a Sabbath Commuter, getting up early, go to the port, checking in for the immigration, across the sea, acroossing the country, patiently following the queque, taking bus or MRT . . . just to go to worship in this church. I do it every week.

Church is not about the distance, is about the heart. With the joyful heart, you can worship and service Him.

No comments: